You Want To Do WHAT with My Breasts?

Breast cancer is the most common form of cancer for women and about 46,000 women will fall victim to it each year. Mammograms can cut this statistic by 30 percent.


By now, my family, friends, and Facebook buddies are probably so tired of hearing and reading my relentless promotion of breast cancer awareness. I can understand that. I am an extremely persistent person.

They see my name – usually attached to it is a pink ribbon – and they probably want to tie the thing around my neck to silence me…and these are my relatives, my friends…I can’t imagine what my acquaintances are wanting to do.

Here is why I continue my faithful mission…50% of women in America do not get an annual mammogram. That is a staggering percentage.

From Susan G. Komen for the Cure, and you can read the full article here http://ww5.komen.org/Content.aspx?id=6442452934 , “Average annual mammography rates were as follows: 47% for women aged 40 to 49 years, 54% for women aged 50 to 64, and 45% for women aged 65 or older…” “Despite professional recommendations and public support in favor of regular mammography, only about half of US women get an annual mammogram, even if they have insurance to cover the test.”

My question – what about the other half that don’t?

While the article did not specify why half of American women don’t have the procedure done, it does hint that the reasons may be due to the discomfort pertaining to the procedure and that there may be a lack of centers where screening is done.

Other reasons might be that they don’t have the time and they are embarrassed to have the mammogram done.

What if you are the one, out of eight women, to be singled out to get the diagnosis that you have breast cancer? Please, consider this…the alternative to not having a mammogram, avoiding the short lived discomfort, not making time, might be worse.

We all have to try to understand these obstacles and do what we can to overcome them. Quite often, discussing these fears with your doctor can alleviate some of the anxiety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Letter to Saint Nicholas - 2023

My Letter to St. Nicholas 2020

My Letter to St. Nicholas - 2022