The Gift of Forgiveness for Valentine's Day

February, the month of hearts, flowers, candy of course, and love. Valentine’s Day is here and what better way to express love than through forgiveness.

One of the toughest things I have ever had to do, and continue yet to do, is forgive myself for my shortcomings, my faults, and my sins. However, being able to do so has provided for me an understanding of how truly powerful forgiveness can be. It is freeing and encouraging. It replaces anger with calm; distrust is quelled and hope is restored. Smiles come more often and laughter, not sadness, fills the air around me. I am not flooded in the bitterness of tears but lifted from the torrents to safer, flourishing ground.

Self-forgiveness is not something done once and then all is well. It is a continuous stream of consciousness allowing me to learn and apply valuable lessons to my life.

Having said all this, it has me thinking about the forgiveness of others. I know just how good it feels to be forgiven; I’ve done it for myself. But, have I been able to forgive others in my life? People whom, like me, have faults and have created disharmony not only with me but within their own selves as well.

I confess this, as with many of my ambitions, is a work in progress. The important thing to note is that it is progressing. The truth not only sets one free, it can also be forgiven. Lies will imprison the soul, which makes it quite difficult to forgive that which is not real or truthful. It is honesty that perpetuates forgiveness. Be real to yourself and to others; it makes peace attainable.

Genuine forgiveness, and I believe it was Suzanne Somers who coined the phrase, is a gift you give to yourself. While this is believable and most likely true if given a chance, forgiveness isn’t offering permission to repeat destructive patterns or behaviors. Forgiveness has the hope of humility. It promises to be faithful to your own well-being, it places trust back in your judgment, and morally keeps you on the path of integrity.

Forgiving others, when humbly asked, can open their minds and hearts to exactly what had been experienced for you when the decision was made to forgive yourself.

Forgiving makes the asker feel worthy of being loved. And what better expression of a Valentine offering can there possibly be?


Some of my favorite sayings on forgiveness:

“Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.” – Mark Twain

“Genuine forgiveness does not deny anger but faces it head-on.” – Alice Duer Miller

“Selfishness must always be forgiven you know, because there is no hope for a cure.” – Jane Austen

“The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.” – Honore de Balzac

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Letter to Saint Nicholas - 2023

My Letter to St. Nicholas 2020

My Letter to St. Nicholas - 2022