My Birthday Wish

It’s my birthday and time, which is always persistent, is pushing me forward, faster to that half-century mark. Not quite there yet, and I’ve never felt more comfortable with where I’m at in my life.

So, for my birthday, instead of giving me presents wrapped in pretty paper and fancy bows, I’ve made a few suggestions about what I want this year. Please feel free to share these ideas with my family, specifically my children, as I rarely get them to read anything I write. I believe they fear there may be a hidden message – like, “clean your room” or “stop whacking your brother with the plunger. Do you have any idea where that’s been?” or “If you don’t like living here, I’ll help you pack your bag.” or simply, “The answer is, ‘no’.” However, I never hide things; I’m pretty blunt with taping ‘mom’s little notes’ – in five words or less - all over the place, on anything they look at or touch – like the TV, a gaming controller, and the cell phones - to get my point across.

Here is what I want most days, but I’ll settle for just today:

I would like 20 more years with my best friend, my husband. Then I’d like 20 more. Over the years we’ve weathered some tremendous storms that may have torn off some shingles and we’ve had to Spackle a few holes in the walls, but the foundation had never been left to ruin to fall to pieces. Brick by brick we have, and continue to, build our fortress together.

I want my children to understand that I’m always on their side, even when I don’t agree; and if your side is different than that of your brother’s, then I still support you both.

I would like tighter hugs good night, and to still kiss you goodbye even when you get taller than me and think it’s not cool now that you’re driving.

Every so often, let me to play back your childhood to when you were 6-months-old, then two-years old, then five. Because when I revisit your past, I don’t rush you on to the next milestone, like taking your first steps, and starting Kindergarten, and being able to shower on your own. Remembering allows me to hold on to you a little bit longer before you go off to college, get married, have children of your own, and hopefully appreciate that I’ve always got your back.

I prefer cards made with construction paper and crayon hearts in rainbow colors. Flowers picked from yard are prettier than ones wrapped in cellophane.

Give me the sky, and spend a moment with me making dragons, or tigers, or castles with its clouds. And should fire breathe out in a lightning bolt or a rumble of thunder roll out of that dragon, know I am your fearless protector.

I guess time is really all we do have. Time to move forward, moments to reflect upon, split seconds to make good choices, and forever to love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Letter to Saint Nicholas - 2023

My Letter to St. Nicholas 2020

My Letter to St. Nicholas - 2022