Small Yet Surprising Things

Yesterday was the 6th grade field trip to New York City. Noah, my youngest, went with my husband who was a designated chaperone. Who watched whom? I’m not sure I want to know, but I probably already do.

The group visited many places - the United Nations building, Ground Zero, Ellis Island, and Liberty Island to name a few. Noah is a collector of things and while being the diligent tourist he purchased his souvenirs. Two of these treasures were for me. One was a pen from Ellis Island because he knows a writer needs her tools to fulfill her mission.

I, wanting to live up to my ‘calling’, recently penned an essay entitled “I Pray for Peace” written the day prior to the NYC excursion. In it, I wrote of the recent passing of three remarkable, children from my community. Noah had not read this piece yet. As a matter of fact, my family rarely peruses the writing I labor over unless it is force fed to them. So, when he presented me with his thoughtful gifts I was quite surprised by the second keepsake.

The item, but truly a gift in so many ways, was a mouse pad. On this pad were written the words, “Imagine A World In Peace”. Perhaps this was the only mouse pad available, but certainly not the only item to be bought.

I read the words again, “Imagine A World In Peace”. Now, I’m not one who jumps to the supernatural, or the ‘unexplained’. However, I do believe that somehow this was not a coincidence. I also know that anyone reading this may be thinking, “She has done it this time…she’s lost her mind”. Well, I haven’t (yet) and this shows me that my child, in his own 12-year-old way of processing that, which has occurred recently in his short life, also wants peace to be found.

A small amount of peace which can start at home by giving his mother a sign that tells her to imagine just that. It appears to me that we are on the same page (or maybe it’s a though provoking mouse pad). That Noah understands what that message means gives me hope that someone, perhaps the angels of the loved ones lost, perceives that it is indeed possible.

So, when you walk about the places you go and, among the crowd, you see the faces of those you have lost… find some comfort in that. Perhaps it is in a gift given, or one received, or something of a coincident that isn’t just two random acts coming together – but in the timing of their occurrences. Maybe, it is in these small, yet surprising things that some balance and harmony can be found.

That my Ellis Island pen has the power to push these thoughts your way, take what you wish from them, they are simply stories, peaceful in nature, and perhaps a little hopeful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Letter to Saint Nicholas - 2023

My Letter to St. Nicholas 2020

My Letter to St. Nicholas - 2022