Common Core Math Just Doesn't Add Up

Ugh! Common Core Math. It's supposed to explain the logic behind the answers to a problem. It's supposed to allow an understanding of the concepts behind WHY the chosen method works to solve everyday problems.

I'm not a mathematically savvy person. I think in 'words', not 'numbers'. If number solving, crunching, manipulating - or processing in general - is required, I manage. But, I'm not using anything special, such as logic, or  a deeper knowledge, to verify the correct amount of change is given when I buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks. What I'm processing is, Dunkin Donuts is so much cheaper when I use my 'Perks' Rewards Card. Clearly, not the logical choice.

Let me give some examples of Common Core Math situations I found online and how they compare to the "old method" - the method I learned back in the day. I found these examples on the Foundation for Excellence inEducation .

Elementary School Example



Previous Math QuestionCCSS Math Question
Each shirt costs $4. How much do 3 shirts cost?Each shirt has 6 buttons. How many buttons are needed to make 7 shirts?
This question can be answered by a “count-all” strategy, in which you don’t need to know your multiplication tables by memory to get the right answer.
I will now apply Karen's logic to this. Previous math question...answer is $12. CCSS math question is much more complex. First, I'm not making shirts (I went to the store to buy them). And if I'm buying them, why don't they come with the buttons already sewn on? What kind of a place sells shirt with no buttons? I'm never shopping here again. Answer is: I just saved $12 on 3 shirts I really didn't need anyway.

Middle School Example

Previous Math QuestionCCSS Math Question
Donna buys 40 apples at 35 cents each. She eats 2 apples and sells the rest for 45 cents each. How much money does she make?Donna buys some apples at 35 cents each. She eats 2 apples and sells the rest for 45 cents each. She makes $4.40. How many apples did she buy?
This question only requires use of simple arithmetic.This question requires use of an algebraic equation.

Karen's logic, and as the math is getting more complex, I will simply state: if Donna wanted only 2 apples, why did she buy 40? And if she thinks she's fooling me, she's not. So, no matter which method, Previous or CCSS, I'm going to find where she paid only 35 cents per apple, buy them all, put her out of business, and sell pies  I never liked her anyway.
Previous Math QuestionCCSS Math Question
A bird flew 20 miles in 100 minutes at constant speed. At that speed, how long would it take the bird to fly 6 miles?A bird flew 20 miles in 100 minutes at constant speed. At that speed: (a) how long would it take the bird to fly 6 miles? (b) How far would the bird fly in 15 minutes? (c) How fast is the bird flying in miles per hour? (d) What is the bird’s pace in minutes per mile?
This question requires one calculation, using a formula.This question requires a series of calculations and reasoning. It measures if students understand why the formula works.
As for the bird scenario, above.  Unless it poops on my pie, I'm not worried about it.

High School Example



Previous Math QuestionCCSS Math Question
If 3(y-1) = 8, then what is y?What are two different equations with the same solution as 3(y-1) = 8?
This question is an example of solving equations as a series of mechanical steps
And, finally, the high school example...I simply have no words!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Letter to Saint Nicholas - 2023

My Letter to St. Nicholas 2020

My Letter to St. Nicholas - 2022